Saturday, March 30, 2019

Entry #9: The Power of Descriptive Writing

Growing up, descriptive writing was always something I thought I was pretty lousy at. In elementary school, my least favorite subject was definitely writing because I felt like I never had anything to say. I remember learning about descriptive writing and I never understood how to add details. I had trouble understanding the concept of allowing my readers "to paint a memorable picture and evoke a distinctive mood" (Tompkins, 2011). I thought I could just tell a story or write about an event that had happened in my life and my readers would have the full picture of what happened. It is hard as a young writer to really recognize the importance of making your writing engaging and meaningful. It is difficult to know how to provide the appropriate descriptions to your audience. For me, the best stories I have heard are the ones where I am able to make a 'movie in my mind' while also feeling like I am apart of the story, transporting myself to the experience that the characters are experiencing. While keeping that in mind, it is important to study the most useful and most transferable writing skills for students to truly understand what descriptive writing is all about.  


I loved reading Tompkins (2011) chapter on Descriptive Writing. She provided me with 5 different techniques I could use to allow myself to make the 'shift from telling to showing' in my own writing but also helping my students improve in their own writing (p. 136). These techniques include: adding specific information, choosing words carefully, creating sensory images, using figurative language and writing dialogue (p. 136). In my opinion, the best way to learn how to do anything is to see it modeled or to view a demonstration. This is why I found it so beneficial that I was able to have the opportunity to read some descriptive mentor texts which highlighted the various techniques listed above but could also be used for a wide range of grade levels. This gave me a clearer idea of what descriptive writing should look like skill-wise but also what is expected a each grade level. For example, Skippyjon Jones is a picture book for a younger audience about a Siamese cat whose has a wild imagination and has a super-hero alter ego. There is also The Stranger which is meant to be used with 3-5 graders. This book discusses deeper themes and provides meaningful life lessons. This would be a great resource for teaching students about how to use and implement figurative language within their writing pieces (p. 137). 


The most beneficial technique to me was incorporating sensory images within your writing. I think this is such a powerful way to improve your writing. These senses can really allow the reader to feel like they are apart of the story. Tompkins (2011) states "too often, students' writing is limited to one sense- sight: they describe something as though their writing were a home movie without sound" (p. 139). This quote was so true for me as a young writer but also true for so many students I encounter in classrooms today. It would be helpful to provide my students with opportunities where they are required to try to use at least 3 of the senses with their descriptive writing pieces. I feel like there are so many hands-on activities or games that could be developed to support students' sensory writing experiences. 


Lastly, I really enjoyed the guided practice activities Tompkins (2011) offers to use within a writer's workshop. The activities provided were all so engaging and could be differentiated to fit the needs of all of your students. My favorite activity listed was the adding words to wordless picture books (p. 149). In these stories, the pictures need to be so detailed that the reader/viewer is able to develop their own storyline or create their own stories by inventing dialogue and adding other details to describe what is happening on each page. This would be a wonderful way to allow my students to practice their vivid descriptions. 


References 

Tompkins, G. E.  (2011).  Teaching writing:  Balancing process and product (6th ed.).  Upper Saddle River, NJ:  Merrill.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Denise!

    I enjoyed your blog on descriptive writing and decided to "bless, address, and press," for my weekly blog. Thanks for inspiring me to add to the conversation. https://mshipperssp19writing.blogspot.com/2019/04/bless-address-press-no-2.html

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was your best entry yet Denise. Right off the bat you hooked your reader by talking to them about what your previous experience has been with this type of writing. I can see why Michelle chose it as the entry she wanted to spend time blessing/pressing/and addressing.

    ReplyDelete

Entry #12: Celebration of Knowledge

This written expression course digs deeper into the purpose of each type of genre. I always knew that the different reading and writing genr...